Monday, February 15, 2010

An Everyday Kind of Valentine

It is Valentine's Day 2010. Red and Pink, Hearts and Candy have littered our grocery isles for about three weeks now. The adults in our home have never really celebrated this day. Sorry if someone works in the card industry but I think it is a commercially bogus holiday.....something to keep gift companies in the black between Christmas and Easter....the time of year that the makers of red dye #40 have their annual party(and you thought it was Christmas) Hate to sound cynical but that's the way it is. Thankfully, we both feel this way...We don't do cards or flowers , chocolates or sweets for this occasion...
A match made in heaven avoiding a Hallmark Hell. What is the nation trying to prove with this anyway?
The simple fact is that I don't need any one day to tell me how Tom still feels. He shows his love everyday....even when I am impossible....especially when I am impossible! He is considerate and attentive. He is funny and charming. It never escapes him to let me know what I mean to him. For this... He is appreciated on so many levels... yet his wife does a terrible job in telling him how many.
In my defense though, how can you put that kind of gratitude into mere words? How could I ever convey it to him without sounding ridiculously clumsy and have him totally understand it? How can anyone? Even now, as I sit here and try to describe it, I cannot.
King of Hearts
On our wedding day, a question arose about the length of time we had been together..I said two years(then started to count)Double that! I honestly couldn't recall when it had all started because he had always been there..I still can't recall a time when he wasn't there....although I know there were 25 years of life that he wasn't, it feels like he was always waiting in the wings. When he walked me to my car, the first time we met, I thought.."Oh! There you are." We fell into our life together simply and easily. No rush...No fuss and nothing to prove. We both agree that this is what made "us" different from any "us" that we had ever known. I guess that is what happens when people find their match....It isn't that you can't live without...it is that you don't want to live your life without that person anymore.

Hating to stay on the Anti-Valentine bandwagon, I will say, enjoy it if you please. If you love Valentines Day that is great! It wouldn't be here if people didn't. However, We don't need one day to commemorate love for someone...it should be every day. A silly number on a calendar says nothing about a bond. So everybody, love your little hearts out and remember that whoever you loved this weekend needs to know it all year long!

2 comments:

  1. YES! When you love someone, why choose just one day to show it? To say it?! I do have to admit though, that I DO love a "special" day to be ..well..."special"! Rogan and I tell one another on a regular basis, and act on it daily. By that I mean- that we continually show one another by the kindness, joy and comittment we continually have for one another. But - that one special day a year, I know that I will be treated like... a ok..get ready for this.. **A Queen***!! and HEY- just who does not want to be "A QUEEN"..if even ONLY for ONE day a year??!! I know that the commercial part to this is simply GARBAGE! I agree with you about the "filling in between Christmas and Easter". But the romantic (and selfish B*%ch) in me says "Hey, I CAN have ONE day that I AM QUEEN, and then... I will return... to that little routine that I maintain, so that everyone involved(s) sanity- is kept intact !

    Farrah, I love that you speak your mind and heart! YOU are MY kind of gal! I hope to someday meet this "Tom" that you speak of (and are married to) Not only is he one lucky guy; he is a man with alot of love and .."listening ability"- for women like you and I! He must feel very safe in his skin..."they" HAVE to be .. (Our men) in order to be able to "adjust" to women that are so "wonderfully opinionated"..and never cease to VOICE IT!

    Another beautiful writing by you my dear! Keep it up!! Love to you, on Valentines day and EVERYDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Farrah, You know exactly what to say. I love it! You are a sweetheart!! Love the pictures!! Love ya! Debby:)

    ReplyDelete