Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Dumplin' Side of the Bed






At my annual Smith family Christmas Eve party this year, my younger cousin Haley exclaimed in her wonderful Southern twang, "Girl! What side of the bed did you wake up on that made you not know what a dumplin' is?" Smiling, I thought for a minute and under my breath said, "The coonass side of the bed, I guess." Cue the judgmental eyebrows. Growing up in a Cajun family, we made lots of rice, some potatoes, but never a dumpling graced the table. "Dumplin'" in our family was always a term of affection, and if you had asked me what a dumplin' was this summer...I would have told you that Tom was. What a tragedy to be unfamiliar with what a dumpling really is! What a wonderfully delicious meal! Creamy, saucy, with a little kick...I was an instant fan. I had to find out how to make these little darlings. Next stop, Ame's kitchen. She has made them for years apparently. How I missed them every time she's made them is a mystery. Ame's mother,our beautiful Grandmere, had a great homemade version that had been passed down and perfected, by a few, for years. Should I even attempt the recipe? Me, being the "adventurous pioneer" in the kitchen that I am, decided that I would. The key to this recipe is the thin noodles..er,uh..."dumplin's". One chicken, 50 paper thin dumplings, and five hours later(yes it took me that long)we had success! Austin(aka: Mr. Picky) licked his bowl and I knew we had a winner! To me, Chicken n' Dumplings just looks like a white lumpy stew....nothing I would have initially considered appealing. However, the taste, the creamy deliciousness is well worth the trouble it is to make it. Tonight, the dumplings are on the menu. Aside from dreaming of being Paula Deen's next protege', the princess of Southern cuisine, I am fancying myself a cookbook photographer as well. I have taken pictures of all the lovely steps to dumpling making! One certainty...It is hard to make a raw pink chicken look inviting in a photograph. So, I thought about how I make my own pale pink skin look nice in the summer...cover it up! This was the result! Another result was my realization that I really like taking pictures of food! There is something very satisfying about it. The drawback is that it makes you hungry. So Haley, if you ask me again what side of the bed I woke up on...I will tell you the "Dumplin's" side because we are loving those luscious treasures tonight!

5 comments:

  1. Farrah- It looks delicious.Definitely want to learn to make some with you and Kate.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMM! Pat's grandmother made awesomely deliciously chicken and dumplings also! She used ..get this..four tortillas and cut them in triangle shapes and then put them in the pot just as you would the ones made from rolled dough. They are also paper thin and quite yummy! I learned the recipe from her. I NEVER could stand "big ol' doughey dumplins". To me they were like (almost ) chewing a lump of raw dough!
    Farrah, your pictures of food are beautiful and as I sit here at 9:42 on this MLK day I am drueling (trying to keep keyboard clean) and wishing I had a big bowl of this yummy "elixer" RIGHT NOW! i MEAN IT ..mouth is watering! YOU done good girl! Loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Tortillas! I might have to slip some in next time!and we have leftover if you wanna make the 3.5 hour drive!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute!!! You definitely have a gift for photography and I'm so thrilled that you are sharing it with all of us :) Keep up the great work girl...

    ReplyDelete